View Single Post
Old 10-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #10
Waynecar53

Re: 68 K20 Panel truck, ex. civil defence vehicle

Hey K20, I have been following your post on your "68 with great interest. That is such a very unique vehicle and I was glad to hear that you plan on taking it back to its "original" OCD blue and white. While the government bought hundreds of CD trucks over the years very few remain and most that I have seen are REO's or Internationals.

I too have a restored ambulance, a 1969 GMC that is here on the board. It can be found under "mylatesttoy". Since changing my modem and wireless router a little over a month ago I have been unable to log in to the forums. Therefore I had to get a new account. I previously logged in as smfdco1.

You had asked several questions about the emergency lighting on your truck. Maybe this will be of some help to you. As originally delivered the truck would have been equipped with a single siren light combo. The base that is still on the roof indicates it to have been a Federal WLR. I have also seen older units with Sterling Juniors but they would not have used that base that you have. The two clear lights on the back above the rear doors made by Unity are also I believe original to the truck as are the two "A" post spotlights.

The beacon light which looks to be a Federal model 17 was I'm sure added by the fire department as were the two Whelen Roto-beams on the rear roof corners. I have never seen a OCD truck so equipped when delivered. That was a time when the government was a little more frugal.

I hope that this is of some help to you and I really look forward to following your restoration.... Wayne
Waynecar53 is offline   Reply With Quote