View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #12
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Re: NP 205 Rebuild and Info

Thanks y5mgisi! Next I pulled apart the rear output assembly. This is the rear Low gear that is coming off the output shaft. First thing is pull the snap ring. You need a good large snap ring pliers on this one. Next is the index washer. Pay attention to that little pin sticking out of the shaft. The grove in the index washer needs to go over that.

Next pull the pin out of the shaft. This pin is real small and real important so don't loose it!

Next is the thrust washer. It has an indexing tab on it.

Next the low gear can be slid off. Have something that can catch all the rollers as they fall out. There is also a divider ring because there are two rows of rollers. the last thing to come off is another thrust bearing

This is the cleaned bare output shaft.

Next install the thrust washer with the index tab as shown

I used some cam assembly lube to stick the lower row or rollers to the output shaft. Next I set the divider ring on the shaft and then the Low gear. Make sure the gear is installed in the right direction. I then installed the top row of rollers.

Next install the thrust washer with the indexing tab as shown.

Now install that little retaining pin

Next is the indexing washer. the grove in the middle needs to sit over the pin and the groove on the perimeter needs to sit over the tab on the thrust washer. Next install the snap ring.

Now the shaft can be turned over. I used some cam lube again to hold the inner rollers in place. I used a screw driver to position them and a deep socket to ensure they were aligned to fit over the pilot in the input shaft.

Next is the retaining washer and snap ring. a socket worked good for seting the snap ring

Now the rear output can be installed on the back of the input shaft

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote