View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 03:24 AM   #109
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Br3w City's Project omgwtfbbq

Finally something to update! It's been a while, with winter, health problems no job etc. But since I've had some time and a few days in the 40's (hey its WI, 40's is nice for this time of year)..I decided to get back on the horse and get some stuff done.

I found out there is a DIY media blaster that rents his 40"x24" cabinet out to hobbyists. I wanted to clean up and get rid of the worn chrome on the outside of the truck to start the new upgrades, so I started stripping her down.

I ended up pulling off the interior door handles and window cranks, both of which had worn chrome and were lame. The knobs were in good shape, and they were protected and will be used. Exterior door handles came off as well, they had cracked chrome and key scuffs, and a mix of overspray and nics from bodywork on the panels. The exterior mirrors were next, I just didn't want chrome. The rear view mirror perch was aging pot metal and was thrown in the box. I plan to do the whole grill at some point, but I did the headlight surrounds as a start. The gas cap (which I no longer use) was thrown in, again to eliminate chrome.

Aluminum oxide took off chrome, crap, paint etc all with ease. I will say its a bit harsh on some things, but the old pot metal had pits anyway, and it smoothed and textures the whole surface in a way that will compliment the satin black finish.

I hit it with 3 coats of primer/sealer to lock in the nice clean metal, then followed that with 4 nice coats of satin black. I'm going to let this cure for about 72 hours while I find a nice SATIN clear coat (hard to find). Then it will be 3-4 coats of clear.

The turn signal surround will be painted, as will the windshield wiper arms, eliminating ALL chrome and colored trim...sans the grill and bumper which will be blacked out soon.

The door cards will be getting an upgrade as well; black vinyl matching the seats.

More as well, as there was big tool purchase....but well save that for later.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote