View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: I serviced the evaporator canister on my 72

The reason they lose charcoal is the thin spongy element on the floor inside the canister wears out. There's one on the ceiling as well, but they don't wear out like the bottom, obviously.

Looks like you're going to run without the bottom element. Nice mod, seems it would work, I may try it. Currently the plan is to use my best canister, which has a slow leak. I picked up a Standard (white) filter, and it's stiffer than common, so it will retain spill more better. I'm adding a funnel, which should add to some longevity.

At some point I may rebuild my other can, but "you have" to cut it open...........Shame someone doesn't build replacements. I'd think there would be a market. GM trucks and passenger cars used the same can.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote