View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
jeffg1010

Re: So... do you want gas struts on your barn doors?

I should've have done it MONTHS ago. It's one of the top 5 "practical" things I have done to it.

I have 4 more gas struts if you want to try them. I had a couple gift certificates for Rock Auto, so I bought 6. I figured 2 for the Burb, 2 for the Blazer and 2 for dads Burb. In Hart Rod's clam shell gas strut conversion thread, he noted the heavier metal liftgate needed a bit more strength to lift his gate. He used struts from a Volvo I think. But when you get vehicle specific struts, they are about double in price. These are universal, so they are cheap. If you get the studs from Amazon, you can try these to see if they will work for you.

and yep, the beer was good. While I didn't have to work real hard (at all) to get it, it was a sigh of relief to get rid of those stupid slides. They are a pain in the rear, they are dangerous, and I am lucky I havent busted a taillight with them.

BY THE WAY... for anyone reading this thread that is considering doing the same thing to a liftgate/tailgate combo. That thread exists too...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=220511
thanks to Hart Rod...
1986 C30 Crewcab - 63K original miles, original paint

Members I have met: mikey531, gcburdic, bashed, burbman69, TonyPieras, Blazester, GCncsuHD, custombuilt67-72, tsnow678, highrpm, PanelDeland, tanman722001, 47thriftmaster, babyblueoval, 68stepbed, JesseWebb, Andy4639, xs-style, TobyArnot, BigOrange, frednoah, brn_agn, k5hart, Graham57a, bhelton, AJohn6, SilverC10, 69CST, '71 Flame, RaceAGMC, Liz, Josh, MattPSU, 68corvair, Chevy350V8, mdeal, ccrorymc, mrhurt73, dmxxpert, Custom68, 84GMC, BionicABs1, BigBlockBurris, Ebfabman, ATP...
jeffg1010 is offline   Reply With Quote