View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #60
joedoh

Re: Wamego: 1949 GMC 150

so I finally figured out (thanks to some help!) that my weird welds were because the tank was 100% argon. at full power it wasnt getting good penetration. I switched to the mix tank and it works perfectly now, no more blue welds, good penetration.

started on the steering column mount. doing this in 3D means a lot of checking and adapting

IMG_0433 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0432 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0435 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

that chunk of old steering column came in handy again. I used the tube on the inside and the shaft on the outside to make sure everything pointed at the steering box.

IMG_0436 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0441 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

first fit up was too far forward (into the dash), it would have worked and looked great but the column would not have tilted up.

IMG_0444 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

there was also some interference with the brake pedal, I could have trimmed the mount but sheesh it would have bothered me for years. YEARS. I moved the whole pedal up about an inch instead, and moved it out of the dash about an inch. fits mucho bueno, in fact moving it up made it line up better with the firewall hole.

IMG_0445 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0446 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the lower column mount is done now, and I built all the bracing to make it bolt to the original dash support, and added a 3" bracket on top to give it a couple more bolts to the firewall. tomorrow I will make the upper column mount. after that I will try and pound out some dents on the front clip and get a mount started unless its a million degrees outside. if its too hot I will take the pedal/column bracket out and finish weld and brace it. there is a pant load more room under the dash for wiring this time, just have to make sure to sand and pad all the sharp edges. what I really want is easier to install gauges and wipers, on the last 49 I had scratches on my forearm from reaching through the speaker opening to install everything because access from the bottom was NIL.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote