View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #71
ATVYP

Re: Uncle Howard's 1946 Chevy Truck

Steering Column pictures continued. I considered starting a new thread on this. Should I have done that? Anyway...

The steering column is from a 87' Chevy Corvette, the year before air bags are introduced. It may have cost the same for me to run a aftermarket Iditit / ect column, but I wanted to remain with the Vette them as much as possible, and there is something cool about that flag emblem that the aftermarket companies could not give me. It is not complete, I still plan to build some sort of protective (or hiding) cover around the switch assembly, but I have not gotten to that point yet.

Previously, the ergonomics of this old truck was very awkward. The factory column was ok, but the correlation to the brake and accelerator pedals in different spots took the fun and ease out of driving it. Dad had the brake booster on the firewall, and this raised the pedal too far for it to be easily and comfortably depressed without double-footing it. The feel is much better now.

I don't have it all figured out yet, so if anyone has any ideas or experiences (or pictures / links) for me to consider, please send them my way.

A VERY helpful resource to easily find on the web is a little service manual that can be downloaded in a .pdf that gives detailed instruction in disassembly / repair / assembly of GM steering columns. I would post it, but it's too big for the forum's guidelines. It can be found by Googling Jazzman Steering Column Rebuild." If you can't find it, send me an email and I'll forward you a copy.

I hope I have answered any questions. Feel free to ask again if I need to clarify or add more details.
Attached Images

ATVYP is offline   Reply With Quote