View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Re: air mixture screws on 1406

I set the screws to about 1.5 to 2 turns out. Then hook up a vacuum gauge to manifold vacuum. Start the engine and set each screw to get the highest possible vacuum setting. Verify that it's around 15" or more of vacuum. Much less and you have a vacuum leak and should diagnose that first (or you have an aggressive cam, and if so, you need to know what your base vacuum should be).

Always reset your idle back to 750 (or whatever you consider to be base idle) before moving to the next screw. Keep going back and forth until you get the highest vacuum at base idle. Allow the engine to settle for about 5-10 seconds before moving to the next screw. This procedure NEVER fails to get good off-idle response. I *only* use a vacuum gauge now to do this procedure. Forget their recommended "set by feel/sound" procedure. That only gets you in the ballpark. The vacuum gauge is far more accurate and less frustrating. And it will also clearly show if one circuit is clogged (ie: won't show any change in vacuum for that screw).

Note that I also recommend doing this with the engine already warmed up. Doing it cold will throw off the idle adjustment. When cold, the choke changes everything.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote