View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

Re: 67 C20 Long Step: "Slow Silver"

Well, we got to the outskirts of Knoxville and the carb started stuttering. It was about this time that I started questioning my sanity for embarking on this trip. Frank's was even more in question since he wasn't even getting a truck out of the deal.

Another few miles and it smoothed out. Must have passed a piece of somethin' through a jet. Kinda like a kidney stone.

Frank had a lap top and cell phone wireless back in the Biscuit. A snow storm was following us. I had bald 10-ply retreads on the truck. We kept moving.

The woman explained to us that this was "not a highway truck". I don't think she questioned our sanity - she knew we were out there. The 4.10s in the rear definitely eliminated the need to worry about speeding tickets - unless they get issued for going too slow.

I don't think this truck spent a lot of time at higher rpm because somewhere in VA the vibrations went up. We later found out that the harmonic balancer had slipped the outer ring. This meant that there were only certain ranges where the engine was happy.

We made it just ahead of the storm and with no more problems. Lucky, lucky..

The truck spent the next couple of years being used for work and play. It got an HEI and a 68 Monojet.
Attached Images

Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote