View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 05:09 PM   #14
mattdmeyer

Re: 1977 P10 Step Van Rebuild

A path has been chosen and I'm sticking to it.

I've decided to keep the 292. I will either find someone in the DFW area to do the rebuild, or I'll buy one already done. Either way, I didn't want to lose any time with dorking with any cutting or custom fab to make the 350 work. Plus with a little tweaking on the 292, I can get more HP than I really need for this application.

Here are my thoughts on the 292 rebuild. I'll let someone do a simple rebuild to bring it similar to OEM specs. Maybe just a few minor tweaks. However, the other day I was speaking to my primary care mechanic. He mentioned that if a rebuild is going to be done, I should try to find someone that will add dual carburetors to the build. He mentioned this will assign one carb to three cylinders, which will give it a bit more efficiency, and smoother idle since the FA mixture will be burning more efficiently. Then at the same time, convert to a dual exhaust system. Has anyone done anything like this? Is the juice worth the squeeze? There is a lot that can be said about keeping things simple too!

Next, I'm going to add a MSD. Better spark, better burn. Speaking with someone that added this to his P10 with a 250, this is a must.

As for the transmission, I'm going to use either a 700-R4 or the 4L60E (which would require an external computer to control the shifting). If anyone has any experience with the the 4L60E over the 700-R4 for this kind of application and has any pointers, please fire away. I'm all ears.

Since the transmission will be quite a bit longer, a new drive shaft will be in order. No biggie.

Power steering - I'll be adding power steering to a 292. I read that this is not as much of a commodity part as the 250 would be. Any tips on everything I would need to add power steering would be immensely helpful.

Steering column. I have not found anyone to rebuild my steering column yet. I want to add the gear shifter to the column instead of a floor shifter. Still working on finding someone to take that project on.

Right now I have a 411 rear end. I'll be swapping that to a 350 or a 373 so I can go faster than 55 mph without hearing the poor thing scream at me.

Well that should be about it for now. I'll keep posting as progress is made.
mattdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote