View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 11:48 PM   #31
Hilandr451

Re: '89 3/4T 'burb front-end swap to '66 C20

Day 5: Slowly but surely making progress. or "One step forward, two steps back."

I spent 3 hours at the junk yard today picking through Chevy trucks looking for the right power steering pump set up. I pulled 3 pumps all with different bracket arrangements. I finally found the one I was looking for: the pump is swung off of the water pump.

This configuration will not work with the '66 p/s pump because the harmonic balancer won't allow the lower bracket to bolt on the block. So....

I had to buy another power steering pump, with brackets, and a tall water pump with alternator brackets & all the pulleys to go with the new configuration.

That brings me to the missing bracket. I couldn't find this bracket anywhere, so I had some 2-1/2" x 1/4" flat bar lying around and decided to make my own bracket for the adjustment bolt on the new p/s pump.

First the cardboard mock-up....

Then the bracket dry fitted in place. This will be the new configuration.

Although I don't particularly like the alternator on the passenger side (gonna be a pain in the butt when I install A/C), This configuration does allow me better access to the p/s pump and belts should be a breeze!

There was a silver lining today; the p/s pump I picked out ('75 C20) just happens to have the same guts as my '66 so I can still use the re-built pump I bought at Napa! I saved myself $55.00!!!

I took the case apart of the late model pump, cleaned it & painted it. I also spiffed up all the bolts, brackets & pulley wheel. They should be dry and ready to re-assemble tomorrow. While I was at it, I painted the water pump & the new adapter plate I made too.
Highlander's web site: www.6066ChevyTrucks.com
Hilandr451 is offline   Reply With Quote