View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018, 11:21 PM   #105
joedoh

Re: Wamego: 1949 GMC 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
Stick with the blue, it will make a nice contrast with the blood red interior.
I waffle. part of me thinks the blue will be great, part of me thinks the grey in satin will just look like primer. I like that putty color kindigit put on that impala, maybe thats why I like the grey. what scares me about the blue is the body is not going to be perfect.

spindles are said to deliver tomorrow and sunday is full on body prep day, I have two helpers coming to wire brush and lightly de-dent "de"-body. so today after dinner I did spindle prep. guys who have taken an s10 apart, look at what a rare sight this is.

IMG_0790 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the drivers side I only lost the speed clips on the lower arm. nothing needed cut off or chopped up. I have taken apart about 15 s10s and thats a literal first for me. makes it easy to strip the rest.

IMG_0791 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0789 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

just need the lower arm bolts out. the uppers werent as bad as I thought but with the amount of drop I am planning and the front tire size I think having everything new is the right idea. steering parts are all new, still have shiny cotter pins!

I ran out of gas with the late start, so I got the rear u-bolts tight. the rear is down about 2 inches, it will drop more with some weight, I like it already but it will probably need a 2 inch block because I am planning on a 285/40/20 rear tire. we will see, I really want a mean stance on this one. second picture is the original tire height for comparison.

IMG_0786 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0775 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I talked about this in the S10 swap a little but here it is again. if you are using a long bed s10 and you move the drivetrain back to where the tranny and distributor are just right off the firewall, the trans will be almost exactly 9 inches further back than the factory s10 location. (you wont move the MOUNTS for a V8 back 9 inches, but the trans will effectively be back 9 inches) so a longbed driveshaft is ~63" but with the new trans position you will need a ~53" driveshaft (picture is a little close but its the rear yoke with a tape on the front yoke) yes I know that is 10" but also remember the rear end will arc forward the more you lower it, most guys who lower s10s will shorten the driveshaft 1"

IMG_0787 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

you can shorten a one piece longbed driveshaft, or shorten a two piece ext cab or early longbed driveshaft, it will cost about $125. or you can just grab a RCSB one piece. I got this one on craigslist for $10.

IMG_0788 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

so thats done too now. I took off the oil cooler lines, I would have kept them because they dont seem to be leaking like usual, but the fan will hit them so off they go. I also pounded out the last of the dents in the inner fender, yippie skippy.

IMG_0760 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

tomorrow is front frame cleaning and painting/new suspension/new rotors bearings seals/new springs and spindles, then the big sand prep on sunday.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote