View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 09:01 PM   #121
joedoh

Re: Wamego: 1949 GMC 150

I got the passenger squirrel home welded up. this whole side would flex by almost an inch when you opened the door from the just the drag in the hinges and the firewall would flex if you pushed on the cab. now I have to be careful shutting the door, before it was sagged and wouldnt latch. it latches now with just a breath (and I dont have any door handles), so I think its going to be ok. the parts all tie to each other, outer to inner, outer and inner to hinge pocket, outer inner and hinge pocket to kick panel. I like little things like this.

IMG_0876 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

got a welding blanket at cardboard freight and covered the gas tank to do the cab corners.

IMG_0891 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

used the trick of clamping them on the cab in the right spot and cutting both sides with the cutoff wheel
IMG_0892 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

inner too.

IMG_0893 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the drivers side was a bumtangle, lots of blowthrough. but got it done. drilled holes in the outer to spot weld to the inner so its all strong and great now too.
IMG_0894 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

passenger side same again.

IMG_0901 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

no blowthroughs, musta had enough practice on the other side. if you look back at older pictures, the back wall on this side was REALLY destroyed, but taking the damage out was easy with my sledge dollies.

IMG_0902 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

just gotta grind them, seam seal the insides patches front and rear, and build 4 more inconsequential patches for the outer skin to hinge pocket and outer skin fender mounts.

while I was screwing off inside, the hired help was making the neighbors mad. 5 hours with two angle grinders and stainless cup wheels. good progress though! look at that PPE discipline too.

IMG_0890 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0897 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0898 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

can I sweep this up and melt it in acetone to spray again?

IMG_0896 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

more clean parts

IMG_0900 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0903 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0905 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0906 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

just a couple metal patches and some de-denting with my sledge dollies and I think a nice waxy red satin will be applied. they started on the cab and second door, but it was quitting time (dinner ready) so I will do it when I am ready. not much paint on that so woop woop.

tomorrow I will assemble the front clip again with my 'new' fenders and get it mocked up.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote