View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
7 Devils

55 GMC 370 2.5 ton

So I'm new to the board and after looking around a bit I believe my truck belongs in this category. Its a 55 GMC 370 Series 2 1/2 ton with a 270 I6, 4 speed manual and a 2 speed rear. It was running and driving when it was parked several years ago. Last registered in Idaho as a farm truck. It has a working dump bed that was used for potatoes and beets.
Its in surprisingly good condition for its age and usage. I've posted a couple pics on other threads but will add them here as well. It snowed the night before I went to check it out so the pics aren't great. I will be getting more soon without the white stuff covering it up.

My intention is to convert it to 4 wheel drive with an engine/trans/rear end swap to something a bit more modern and stable. I plan on fabricating a custom flat bed for it with an integrated head ache rack. I'd like to be able to keep that. big wheel look and ride on the taller side of things. Of course I want to keep cost and difficulty down since its a side project and I don't really want it to sit for 2 or 3 years waiting to drive it. I'm, debating using the factory frame or putting the cab on something newer.

As many of you know, diving into one of these bigger trucks for the first time can be a bit daunting. That's my way of saying that I will have lots of questions. My background is in automotive performance and fabrication so I'm not intimidated by the build itself, just lack the knowledge of the chassis.

Anyway, I hope I can be helpful in the forums with any knowledge/experience I have and look forward to being educated by those that know these monsters and are willing to share.
Attached Images

55 GMC 371 2 1/2 ton. Upcoming project.
7 Devils is offline   Reply With Quote