View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 01:11 AM   #1
LT7A

Hood insulation: Why? Do you keep it or don't you?

I posted this over in SquareLand but I figured I would see if I could get input from people that hang out in other parts of the forum since the topic applies to more than squarebodies.

I've had some vehicles with hood insulation and some without. From a high performance mindset, I can't see how it would help. Unless you live way up north in Coldlandia or Coldaska and have a hard time maintaining operating temperature, I don't see how there's a benefit except at initial startup/warmup. I can more easily make a case that it's there just to suppress sound. We all know that NVH is really important to the manufacturers. I would imagine that quiet seems smooth, and smooth + quiet probably help sell vehicles on test drives. Once up to operating temperature, it seems that any insulation would have a negative effect on performance. There is a lot of air going over the top of the hood that could draw heat out of the engine compartment. The closest thing to the hood is typically where the air and fuel are being drawn in. Any drop in temperature in that area sure seems like it would be a performance gain however minimal.

I'm considering pulling the hood insulation out of all of my rigs. I don't mind hearing the motor when it's doing its job. And generally speaking, if it's not revving up, then I don't think it's going to transmit much noise through the hood through the windshield and into the cabin. And I don't mind startling innocent bystanders and woodland creatures when I drive by. What do you guys think: Keep it, add it, toss it?
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote