View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #20
TexasT

Re: 200-4r transmission questions/opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
the 2004 r4 was installed in a vast number of GM cars such as the Buick grand national , monte carlo SS , Cadillac and even the corvette just to name a few . Every transmission has faults (week points) and most can be corrected and made better with the proper rebuild .
Never installed in a corvette from the factory.
To the oP get the latest model year core you can find. It will have to factory hardened parts if it hasn't been goofed with. The last factory unit that was put in a car is almost thirty yrs old . Be sure your builder understands and has prior experience with the 2004r. If he is the local "race' trans builder without some happy 2004r customers I would recommend you run away.

These units have a matched vb and governor. They aren't "All the same" and a builder that thinks so will be nothing but head aches for you. Once they get goofed with getting the unit to shift is difficult and dropping the pan is only so much fun.

I would definitely read up on the TV cable and its operation. It is CRUCIAL that it get setup and function properly. http://tvmadeez.com/article/article/index.php
At the top there are some links to the articles click the TV 101 article and the others if it interests you to learn.

The best cores are also the hardest to find and most expensive to obtain. The Turbo Buick, MC SS , 442/Hurst Olds, and Turbo Trans Am.
I like the AA code from a mid eighties Cadillac. If you can locate one in the wrecking yard you can get it and the other things you will need, like the TV cable and brackets, and the torque converter to use as a core.

This will help you identify the core you might find.

What to look under at the wrecking yard. Not every one will have the 2004r but it might.

If you need more 2004r info I have some stuff I send to people who have interest and have assembled one for them self. Let me know and I can sent it.