View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #35
weq92f

Re: bbc retrofit roller update

Adjusting these valves cold was an adventure. The rocker nut could be adjusted by hand down to zero lash and beyond. I could use my fingers to crank the rocker down and watch the plunger in the lifter just keep going down. If I wanted I could simply spin the rocker all the way to the bottom of the lifter I bet.

So, I had to decide to pick a spot and call it zero lash before the lifter starts getting depressed by the rocker bolt, then add my additional fractions of a turn and lock down the nut with the poly lock ( This while on the base circle ). Given these are roller lifters and the docco says no reason to pump-them-up, I'm just guessing at this first round of adjustment.

After the adjustment on all 16 and of course all the rotation and subsequent plunging of the push rods into the lifters ( dry ), those rockers whose lifters are on the base circle are loose now and well, just I'm not real happy about that! My thinking is that when the pressure comes up, those lifters will pump up and all that slack will be gone.

Any thoughts?

Moving forward...

BB is assembled and the headers installed. Should achieve startup today after we get the radiator installed, fans wired and the fuel lines plumbed up tight.

The headers fit real nice. Hedman 68198 for 67 BB Chevelle. Passenger side was the tightest as far as install and potential for interference, but the only issue was had to relocate the main battery lead to the starter to keep it off the tubes.

Driver side install was wide open and easy. The longer extension to the collector on this side meant the truck needed to be up higher on stands to gain a bit more clearance below but the header needed no help at all going up between the frame and engine into it's final resting spot. Plenty of room to install it without any issues or interference.

I think if a column shifter were in use for the transmission, this header might have issues with that. Mine is of the cable type so no worries there. The collector terminates about 9 inches from the transmission crossmember in my case on this truck so I don't have any issues there.

These headers sit right at frame level essentially so they are perfect for my lowered stance!

-klb
Attached Images

99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote