View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
rideair

Re: Trouble matching a paint color

My question to you would be:

“Which manufacture of paint are you using?” And “What level of paint quality are you using?”

Depending on the manufacture and even the quality level of paint within that manufactures line, the color can be way, way different. It can be many shades off.

Sounds crazy, but true.

I’ve seen two different paint manufacture call it the same color, but when sprayed, look very different.

There are ways around this, if you are wanting to use a paint that cost less (I won't use the term cheap). What you can do, take the ashtray to someone that has a machine to scan the paint color. You would be better to use an area in the truck that does not see sunlight (have the guy come out to you), it will come up with a number, match that number the best you can to a very high-end paint, then cross-reference the high-end paint code to the cheaper paint. I bet you will find the codes will be slightly different in the cheaper paint.

I not long ago wanted to paint a 1968 Travelall, the cheaper paint I wanted to use did not match well based on the code I gave them, so we used the method described above and was able to find a really good match in the cheaper paint.

A good auto-body supply shop should be able to do this no problem.

Good Luck,

Last edited by rideair; 03-09-2018 at 06:00 PM.
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote