View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 11:27 PM   #343
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Got a day to wrench on the WMB. The new battery tray when in along with my fresh from the swap meet Camper Special 7 bladed clutch fan. Out with the old 4 blade fixed. Then attractively arranged around it is my perfect $8 junk yard score shroud! SWEET! The radiator has been installed. Contrary to the previous post I ended up going with a copper four row core from Canada with a plate cooler in factory tanks. If I have to spend $700 bucks to get a drop in unit want one that has a quality core, a real warranty, is repairable and I supported a local business. Plus they had the core in stock and the radiator was ready the next afternoon. I took my old hoses to NAPA to get replacements. They lower one was not really a problem, but none of the ones they had were anything like the old upper I removed. So I guessed (wrong) and went to see what I could make work. The lower needed about 3/4" cut off of the radiator end and 1/2" off the pump end to fit. Amazingly the hose no longer rubs the frame. Hurrah! The upper one ended up looking like the correct hose if you had a center pointed water neck. (NAPA # 7315 if you have that style housing ). I ran back and got a #7459 which I believe is the listing for a 72 C10 with a 350. It's bends are more pronounced to clear the alternator. I'm sure if I had searched the board I would have saved having to return one. At this point I'd bet the old upper was off the 305's donor car.
It doesn't sound like a lot got done for 7 hours work, but the mounts for the overflow tank had to be reworked and then the battery tray drilled to bolt them on. And the heater return had to rerouted to the radiator instead of the pump. Which turned out to be fortuitous as the steel hose connector in the pump had lots of deep pits and looked like it was ready to start leaking anytime. And then there was some watching of paint drying. And then the whole search for three of the shroud bolts that I had last week, but this week were nowhere to be found. Still!!
But now it's thirty.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 04-23-2018 at 11:40 PM.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote