View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 12:20 AM   #30
88lowrider

Re: HELP, Broke down Again !!!

Ok.
Looks as I can post on this thread even if it is old.

As far as the fuel, it has a half tank of non ethanol fuel with the marine stabilizer in it. No drain on that tank for one.

I took the car hauler over to get it and winch it up but tried one last time.
Nothing, no fuel pump sound.
I then jumped the fuel pump and could here it running.
I then tried to start it and just rolled over. Tried it again, seen the oil pressure go up and she started.
I let it run for about 30 minutes as I loaded her up on her own power.
Brought it home, pressure washed the whole outside to clean her up.

I tried to start her back up, no fuel pump sound, jumped the fuel pump again, watched the oil pressure come up and this time, did not start, just rolled over.

I pulled the jumper form the orange wire to the center wire on the plug on the fuel pump relay. The notes that I had written down and in the Chilton book says it it was supposed to be a Gray wire to the pump, Mine is Pink going to the pump.
I then had my friend work the ignition switch and I tested the Green/white wire which is supposed to be the prime I think its called.
Anyway, No other wire in that plug was hot so the next step is go get to the ECU and test I that same color wire, Green/white to see if it comes hot (A1 in my notes). My hopes are its got 12 volts with the key on.

This chilton book is really not that helpful.
So, my thinking right now, with no special tools is to pull the fuel line from the throttle body, stick it in a quart bottle with a rag over the end, then make a LONG jumper wire (NO Sparks) plugged into the fuel pump relay plug. Its a 5 foot jump starter setup that I will just cut the alligator clips off and make sure its plugged in so No sparks, have my friend just tap that starter cable button to energize the fuel pump.
I won't be able to measure the fuel but will now if its pumping.

This book does not show the wiring so if anyone knows if that is A1 on the ECU I should be testing and where does it go, right to the fuel pump relay ?

If I remember right the oil pressure switch is what tells the ECU to keep the fuel pump working, that green/white wire just primes and runs the pump until the oil pressure is up.
I can't seem to find that information so hoping someone knows or has a real book to look at.

There is also a module in the distributor that I think runs that fuel pump relay too but can't remember what it does.

I can put a shot glass of fuel down in the throttle body and see if she will run on that.
I will do that tomorrow in between snow showers ;-)

Oh yeah. I have been plagued with a phantom draw on the electrical system which I will get into after I get her running again and off the trailer.
Long story short, pulled the Alt wire, pulled fuses trying to find it. If she sits three days, it would pull a new fresh battery down to were it would need jumped. So, several issues to chase down. Right now, its got a marine power switch that disconnects the battery which means the ECU has not recorded any error codes.
Real mess huh...
88lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote