View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
Hardesty454

Re: Tripp's Speed Shop Build

Well completed the exterior welding and clean up on the pass side of the core support. Took me two day after work (2-3 hours each day) and about 2 hours this morning. Started the drivers side today as well. I still need to clean up the inside of the pass side but can do that when I finished grafting the drivers in. Because I took my time between tacking I can only see very minimal warping on the metal. Another note I feel is worth mentioning to anyone that is considering and sheet metal work is go slower when taking your tacks down then when you put them there. I use an 80 grit flap disc and only do about 2 straight passes on each side and then take a couple mins of a break. This may be just me over thinking but its better safe than sorry!

Heres the finished pass side.

This one is to show that the metal stayed decently flat after being cleaned up.

Something I didnt mention above is that when I get the tacks pretty close to smooth I take sand paper and a block and complete it. This way I dont burn through the metal and I can take longer strokes to "even" the metal out.

Here is where I started the drivers side. I wont go into every detail as above to not be redundant but wanted to show I cut it a little differently. Toward the bottom I cut a larger section out of the 68. This pulled my welding away from the bottom "roll" of the bucket. On the pass side I had a bit of a hard time keeping my flap disc away from the bucket and hit a couple times.

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote