View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #12
mr48chev

Re: Salvage Parts! Which Ones Do You Use?

Just thinking, my last wrecking yard purchase was a set of four matching oem style steel wheels that will probably end up on the 48 with the brake and axle setup I plan for it. They will end up on one or the other of my projects at any rate. 10.00 each and they guys at the yard hunted out four that match perfectly. That is about half of what one aftermarket wheel the same size would cost.

Another local yard that I have done business with several generations of the family over the past 55 years doesn't have a lot any more because the owner who is a good friend is in failing health but I can go in and snoop around though the cars and trucks and find what I am looking for and get it pretty reasonable. I need to go down and check the crusher row for a gas filler door to fit my 71 one of these days. I usually hit the crusher row for that stuff as they have already decided that they aren't going to sell any body panels off those rigs and I am not cutting up a good quarter panel to get a part.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote