Old 03-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #50
cooperhw

Re: El Camino a truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by palallin View Post
No, not any more
Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It's a pickup truck, no doubt about it. Size and load capacity have nothing to do with it. Pickup trucks have beds and cars have trunks. Trucks come in all sizes and are built to haul cargo and a couple passengers. Cars are designed to carry passengers and a couple things in the trunk. Is a C/10 with raised floor to allow it to lay frame or a big hump over the rear a truck? Can't haul any more than an El Camino...Probably less. What's the load range on those low profile big diameter tires? How about those wheels?

Hand truck:
Attachment 1633267

Bantam pickup truck:
Attachment 1633268

Hudson Terraplane:
Attachment 1633270

Packard pickup truck:
Attachment 1633271

1918 Chevy 1/2t pickup:
Attachment 1633287

In 1968 we celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Chevy truck with a special truck I'm sure you all are familiar with and next year we will be celebrating the 100th. These first pickups were built on the same chassis and used the same sheet metal as the 490 car. This 1918 Chevy TRUCK has a load capacity of 1,000#, hence the 1/2t designation. El Caminos have a load capacity of up to 1,100#. '03 S10 load capacity is 1,184. The El Camino is a light duty Chevy pickup truck. I have light duty Chevy Truck brochures from this era and they include El Caminos.
I like your statement "Is a C/10 with raised floor to allow it to lay frame or a big hump over the rear a truck?". True. But, I also ask the question "is a totally restored truck with beautiful wood bed and painted or stainless steel strips" still a truck? Can't and don't ever haul anything but air.
I did a 55 Chevy pickup once and the bed turned out so beautiful I would take my shoes off if I needed to get in it to wash the top of the cab. I had no place to carry my lawn chairs or ice chest. It was in essence a single seat vehicle that looked like a truck. Might as well have been a roadster. Sold it and did another car so I could have a trunk again.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote