View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #14
Dead Parrot

Re: 'Dumbo' mirror source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryRocketeer View Post
Unrelated to the thread, but your info says you're from OKC and I always see you talking about hitting the salvage yards for parts. I've only found a couple squares at Pull-a-Part and they basically picked over shells. No luck at LKQ either. Where are you finding this stuff?
Persistence and patience plays a part. Some trips I find no squares or picked over shells and the trip is over 20 minutes after entering the yard. Other trips, there will be several fresh trucks. It is a rare trip that I completely fill my want list. OTOH, I have found things I wasn't looking for that I grabbed for future use - example: a near pristine radiator core support was just sitting on the end of a picked over frame, about 8 bolts later it was mine for $30 and no shipping.

Also realize that many parts from other GM vehicles will fit these trucks. Got a 12SI alt from a FWD Buick. Steering wheel from a Blazer. THERMAC parts from some GM car - didn't even bother to check which kind. Roof mounted rear view mirror from a Chevy Spectrum(guessing a rebadged import).
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote