View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #78
ryanmctee

Re: Color sand all panels?

My color-sanding and buffing is finally complete for this project. Yesterday I finished the bed, which was my last item to sand/buff. I am VERY happy with how my truck turned out, and can't wait to finish the project 100% so I can WASH it and get some real pictures to show you. Again, thanks to all for your input, ideas, and advise. This wouldn't have turned out as nice as it did with out you! Now it's time to re-pay the forum with a step by step of what I did:

1. Sanded entire truck with DA sander and 180 grit paper
2. Did necessary bodywork using Evercoat Rage and Evercoat Easy Sand glazing putty.
3. Primed truck with Kirker 2k Perfect Prime
4. Blocked truck to 600 grit and re-primed and glazed SEVERAL times; probably 5-6 each
5. Sprayed Kirker Ultra-Glo single stage urethane paint with HVLP spray gun.
6. Sprayed Kirker Pro Flo urethane clear coat (I know I didn't have to spray clear over single stage, but just wanted to)
7. Started color-sanding with a 3m foam pad. 1200 - 1500 - 2000 - 2500 grit
8. Buffed the truck starting with a wool bonnet and 3m rubbing compound. Then foam pad with Meguires swirl remover, then foam pad with Meguires show car glaze.

I hope this little re-cap can help anybody with any questions. While I'm no expert at painting/sanding/buffing, feel free to shoot me any questions you may have. I am more than glad to return a favor, as so many have helped me!
Attached Images