View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #706
ptc

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug224 View Post
..in fact, I'll need to remove the steering column to fully utilize the entire length. It is long. Just re-looked at their somewhat difficult to see installation photos on-line. Looks like they cut the entire dash panel out and replaced with just the sheet metal repair panel. The repair panel does not have any sort of structural bend at the bottom edge so it may be flimsy. If I can't find an easy way to leave the bend from the factory dash panel, I'll probably spot well a light flange/angle iron across the bottom and weld on both ends to the cab.
Dug I did this same panel on my dash and I cut everything out and then cut the bottom heavy support rail off of it and re-attached it back into place. Leave at least 1/4" of old material at the top of the old dash face for the new panel to rest on and plug weld it. Then plug weld the bottom onto the support about every 4".

I finished the top weld by seam welding it complete, starting from one end to the other and air cooling it to keep it from warping. Then used a die grinder to shape the weld nice.

good luck! enjoying the project!