View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 02:50 AM   #4
Mike_The_Grad

Re: American Autowire products

I installed their Classic Update Series in my 1972 c10 LWB.
Kit #510089
I installed the kit myself. I don't know jack about electrical,let alone automotive electrical. I was intimidated to take on this project myself to say the least. I started by ripping out every single wire from my original harness. Headlights to taillights. I figured if I wanted to drive the truck I would have to install it myself. Motivation? Lol
Anyways, I was very impressed with the kit when I opened it. The complete kit has the wiring broken down into "kits". Engine,front lights,dash,rear lights,etc... they even give you a bag of "practice" terminals. Which I'm glad they did! I had to utilize a few for some of the terminals I had screwed up. IMO, get a quality crimper! AAW has tools which they will "lend" you for a deposit, and return when u r done for a refund. I didn't take advantage of this offer. And in hindsight, I would jump at the chance if I had to install this kit again. I also chose to do things "the right way", by crimping,soldering, and using heat shrink tubing on EVERY SINGLE CONNECTION where it was feasable. A note on this,you can use a soldering iron, but better get a big one or a quality one. I opted for Harbor Freight... on the first terminal I dropped that idea.(tool wasnt up to the task,took to long to heat,had to worry about a station to place it in between terminals.) So I opted for a hand held butane torch. Each to hold, heats up real quick reducing the amount of heat placed into the surrounding area. All in all, I would have to say that this has been the wisest decision I could have made for future longevity of my trucks wiring. 2 years later and not a single issue, except for grounding issues on my part, got those straightened out though.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote