View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #6
ballencd

Re: Another Suburban Lock Problem (1991)

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I've attempted to reply two times now and it disappears. Strange.

So I will make this one short.

I read the article and learned some interesting stuff on the GM locks. They could have made it easier for sure. Both my M1009 (military 6.2 Blazer) and my current DD (1988 V10 Suburban) had just a round key that unlocked/started everything. The military blazer used the same key for all the CUCV vehicles GM made in the 80's and my 1988 was a rescue vehicle in its former life so I'm sure it was reconfigured to make it easier to keep up with. That being said, I was surprised to find that none of the keys (both round and square) would fit into my door locks until I read the article that is. I have found a supplier that sells a four cylinder kit with the ignition, front doors and rear barn door cylinders all keyed alike. I will have to swap out the new ignition cylinder I just put in but they will all match. I could not find a 3 door kit to match and it will be much easier to have only one key so I will most likely go that route. I will continue to look for a three door set that might be re-keyed to the ignition but it might cost more then whole kit.
Thanks again for your help and info.
Charlie
2005 Toyota Matrix
2002 VW Passat (sold) (YEA!)
1986 M1009 (6.2/TH400/NP208) (sold)
ballencd is offline   Reply With Quote