View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #5
inlikeflint

Re: Wheel sizes and hub spacers for '73-'87 P/U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Sounds like a previous owner of the trailer or PU(while it was still a PU), swapped rear ends. One big advantage of these trucks is the wide range of parts that can be swapped in. One big disadvantage is the wide range of parts a previous owner can have swapped in and not documented.

The PO might have wanted the rear end originally on the bed for another project and just bolted on a random axle and sold the leftovers as a trailer. Might not even be a GM axle.

As you have noted, 5 or 8 lugs is the normal Chevy number for the years in question.

Before buying new adapter spacers and wheels, might price a used axle assembly from a salvage yard or ask for one on CL.

I was wondering about that... I measured the center bore and it was like 3-3/8 to 3-1/2... Then I found a page of chevy measurements for mountin wheels and the lowest they had was 70-78mm. When I went to mount Chevy steelies the center bore hole for hub-centric stuff was too small... So, I think what I am going to do is either go to an auto salvage and pick up a couple steel wheels that fit that hub at 16" instead of the mismatched 15"s I have then, track down a couple pair of common 245/75r16 that I have on both of my suburbans (And then send all the other stuff taking up space in my garage and yard down the road). I never thought about getting another axle, It wouldn't take much to swap it out. (Thank you for the idea!)

I did find a pair of 1" spacers with mounting lugs for about $27.00 on ebay, but it might be just as easy to pick up some steelies that actually mount to the axle I have. (I think) The floating off of the hub - hubcenteric thing has me sort of confused because my trailer wheel on the other side has a 4"+ center-bore hole and hasn't had any problems with loads, flexing... Something for me to digest today...
inlikeflint is offline   Reply With Quote