View Single Post
Old 08-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #8
silverbear

Re: Serpentine belt systems on 350 small block

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
can you use 85 or 87 to 93 or 95 GM belt systems from any SBC truck for my 76 K10?
Just a word of caution. Look at your block and head configuration before grabbing parts from a pick-a-part yard. There are factory brackets that keep the alternator on the passenger side and a/c compressor on the drivers side. This style requires your passenger side head to have three mounting bolt holes for the alternator and tensioner bracket. The a/c and power steering bracket will bolt up fine. This style of brackets were the first ones I picked up and since my heads have three holes on one end and one on the other, like most older heads do, I could not use them. (I have these brackets listed in the classified section if you want to look at this style)

There is a another style out there that has the alternator on the driver's side along with the power steering pump. The a/c compressor is mounted on the passenger side with the belt tensioner. These will bolt up better to the older style block and head but you will have to rework your wiring and a/c lines. The wiring kits are available in the classified section if you don't feel comfortable doing all of that yourself. What I like about this style of set up is that with a couple of adapter brackets you can upgrade from the R4 compressor to a Sanden 508 style.

With either style of brackets there is a pulley available to mount in the place of the compressor if you are not running a/c.
2010 Suburban 1500 4x4 5.3l/6L80e. Sold
2016 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 6.0l/6L80e
silverbear is offline   Reply With Quote