View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Gray Ghost

454...choices....

I started the deck job that will get me a 1981 454 with 19k on the clock. It will be here next Sunday unless I miss my guess. I know I want to go with fuel injection of some sort, but not being too familiar with BB parts I thought I'd ask you guys what you think I should look into for the rebuild.

I talked to one guy that suggested destroking it to a 427....I've always liked that motor number. I also love the stock height valve covers...does this limit me to a certain hp ceiling if I don't go with a severe ldle cam? My target is 475-500 hp.

If anyone has EFI suggestions [MAF only]...let me know, this is where I have no particular knowledge. The truck will be a streeter, driven at least every other day around town. It will never see the track...it's strictly for fun. I'll be running everything including AC. The engine already has all the brackets except for the AC and I'll be going local aftermarket with that.

Also tell me anything you know about 80's BB's, especially if the heads are good enough to rebuild or should I look to the aftermarket on those? The motor came out of a 1981 GMC motorhome and still has the transbraked 400 on it [I'm not getting that]. I figured when I get the 700 for the big truck that I'd have the 350 rebuilt to stand up to the BB. I know the 400 is tougher, but for how I drive I think the 350 will be fine. There's a tranny wizard here in Terrell who tells me he can do wonders with it.

That's as far as I have gone in thinking about it...what do you think?

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 07-26-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote