View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #23
SCOTI

Re: Project: Recycle

So.... Up to this point, this was just an excersize in "if it's done, how well would it work". I stashed the lwb frame in storage figuring I could/would shorten it for a future low-buck project.

At the same time I got the lwb frame, I had also purchased a swb 65 frame for this project. My intent was to do the rear frame Z on that frame (you improve on the 2nd from the miscues on the 1st), add the Dropmember, & build a rolling chassis to swap the 64's body over to so that I could keep the truck 100% intact until the last possible second (I have more than 1 disassembled project & did not want to add a 4th). I started mocking the 65 swb frame on the 'table' & when trying to set it square, learned the frame was not right.

A trip to the frame repair/alignment place relieved my pockets of cash but the frame was still .500" off on the diagonal measurement from the rear cab mounts to the ends of the rear frame rails. After contemplating my choices, I decided to bring the lwb frame back to the shop & cut it down to a swb.

This has been covered before on the board & I merely followed some excellent instruction from a fellow board member w/his FAQ thread on frame shortening. It had a gusset/fish plate plug & perimeter welded to the outside of the frame only because I wanted to be able to remove & install the truck arm c.member (you can't swing the c.member out the back side because of the boxing plates)....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-18-2010 at 12:12 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote