View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
nikwho

How quick MIGHT my truck be in the quarter?

Okay, this is a VERY loaded question, I know! I'm sorry for asking it, ahead of time. But, I'm just morbidly curious what you guy think that this truck may run in the quarter mile. I know that it won't be really fast, as it's all pretty standard stuff. The truck runs well and the engine is pretty healthy.

With that said, I am heading down to Tucson, AZ in 3 weeks for the Roadkill Zip Tie Drags. It's supposed to be a very first timer friendly event, plus I like the Roadkill show and you can camp right at the track! Should be lots of fun. So, I've entered my truck and my son and I are heading down to see if we can break some stuff!

I don't have my new BBC together in the truck at the moment, so I was using the truck to break in a new 350 that I built. I had a fully machined block with balanced rotating assembly, so instead of rushing my BBC build, I built the 350 and installed it in the truck to break it in.

So, very mild 350 build with stock bottom end, Melling oil pump, '87-'95 305 TPI heads, Summit 1103 cam (214 int./224 exh. @ 050, Advertised 288 int./298 exh. 112° LSA), Weiand Street Warrior dual plane intake, Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm carb, HEI distributor, full length headers.

Transmission is a freshly rebuilt th350 with shift kit and 2,400-2,500 stall converter.

I have a Yukon locker and 3.08 R&P in the 10 bolt axle in the truck. I am going to try to get a 12 bolt installed that I'm buying from a friend. I believe that rear end is currently set up with a 4.10 R&P, though I believe that it's an open differential. If I swap it, I will try to get a position set up in it, but this event is coming up pretty quick, so I'm not sure what will happen there.

I have a line lock that was planning on installing for the front brakes. Would at least help warm up the tires!

Lastly, I am picking up a new set of Good Year Eagle 27"x11" slicks. I wasn't running very aggressive street tires and the truck likes to spins the tires. I found these slicks very lightly used, only a couple years old and stored indoors. Guy sold his car that he raced and sold these to me very cheap. So, I'll order a couple of steel wheels and should be able to hook up a lot better with them.

So, aside from that, the truck is a '68 GMC C15 SWB, lowered about 6"/7", so sitting this low, I don't imagine that it will transfer weight really well. It's mid-restoration, with the entire frame and suspension all done, with new brakes, bushings, u-joints, steering, etc. So, it should be nice and safe. Going to go try this racing thing. I'm afraid that I may get hooked!

I'm thinking that before I run it at the track, I should try hard to:
- Have slicks mounted on new wheels
- Get the line lock installed
- Build a driveshaft safety loop,
- Install my new 3 point seat belts

Any guesses what E.T. I should expect to see with this truck? I was pulling about 14 seconds out of thin air, but thoughthe that lots of you guys may have run, or seen similar truck's run.

Guesses on 1/4 mile time?

What should I do to get the truck ready?

How huge of a difference am I going to see going from 3.08 gears to 4.10's?

Sorry for asking a question that nobody can really answer. I guess that I'm just excited!

Nik