View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 04:02 AM   #1
Turbizzy

Please can someone help me im completely lost

Yes im sorry its another great disc brake question and beleive me i tried super hard to search but so far its just made me even more confused and my dad really needs his truck back asap.

OK, my dad bought this 68 c10 with disc brakes up front and 5 lug rotors. I swapped the rotors for 6 lug rotors from Early Classic along with new bushings, balljoints etc. However the truck never really seemed to stop well. The master cylinder was an aluminm style with the plastic clip on top resevoir. And it had no Proportioning Valve only that early block style looking one.

When you step on the brakes the pedal goes to the floor practically and does stop decent when unloaded but its really dangerous. I tried to bleed the brakes but i don't get a whole lot of pressure out of the calipers so i thought perhaps the master cylinder is bad/wrong.

So far i swapped in a rebuilt master cylinder from a 72 c10 with discs from AutoZone and a new prop valve from early classic. Connected it all and when i tried to bleed it i noticed the fluid bleeds off better at the calipers however the pedal still hits the floor and i feel like the brakes didn't get much better.

Im soo frustrated right now since no one can really give me an answer since who knows what the previous owner used parts from. Anyway what i think is going on is that the master cylinder isn't building enough pressure due to not enough travel from the booster. I bought a rebuilt booster from Autozone and compared the 2 and sure enough the old booster only pushes the pushrod into the master cylinder about 50% of what the new booster does. Well when i tried to install the new booster i realized the new booster doesn't have those mounting brackets to the firewall. The firewall has 4 studs that stick out, 2 short on top, 2 long on bottom. And those studs go into the old booster's mounting brackets which by the way are riveted to the booster. So i thought about griding off the rivets from the old brackets and installing the new booster onto the old brackets but.... theres another issue. The rod that goes from the pedal to the new booster is really short and has a small loop hole at the end. This will not reach the pedal at all. The old booster has a really long rod that seems to be threaded with a jam nut and is the perfect length from the brake pedal to the booster.

Needless to say i don't know what to do anymore and its really tough trying to describe this to anyone. So i think what i basically want to know is... what kinda booster do i need, i plan on buying a rebuilt one from Autozone or a junkyard iunno. And how do i make it bolt to the pedal since the one i bought has a input rod that is too short?

Can you guys post some pics of your brake booster/MC installs? Thank you soo much for your time i really appreciate it.
Turbizzy is offline   Reply With Quote