View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 10:34 PM   #333
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

With all of the “stock” wiring done I still needed to get my auxiliary fuse box installed and operational, it was now early August. The auxiliary box is necessary for a place to add in circuits for the electric choke, 2 speed rear and auxiliary brake booster. How it is wired: I mounted a 100 amp relay powered off of the positive battery cable, it connects to an 80 amp breaker; Both are screwed down to the passenger fender next to the battery.

Name:  BAA.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  44.9 KBName:  BAC.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  43.6 KB

The wire to energize the relay is connected to an unfused ignition tap in the fuse box in the cab. I used scrap wires from the 89 wiring harness to make all of this up and did the solder and heat shrink thing to all of it. I also added in a single blade fuse to the wire that energizes the relay, it is the bright green wire here: (You can also see the tach wire run through the same conduit – the brown wire)

Name:  BAD.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  37.0 KB

Currently I have the wire to energize the relay and the power wire that feeds the auxiliary fuse box run between the hood hinge and the fender, at the very least I have to go back and wrap them with tape, I may still try to reroute them.

Name:  BAF-hinge.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  31.4 KB

It all seemed like I was on a roll and I wanted the 2 speed rear functional again and I needed post terminals to connect the switch end to the rear harness like the factory did and all I could scrounge up was this piece off of an old electric range. It is functional but looks like crap and will get replaced!

Name:  BAE.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  41.3 KB

To the right of the screw terminals you can see the 20 amp breaker that powers the two speed rear. I really wanted to use a blade style breaker like the 89 had stock but it would not fit in the fuse panel that I had added so I just used a typical 20 amp 12v breaker. After wiring it up I took it out for a test drive to verify that the two speed rear works, it does!

Enough for tonight, more to come. -Richard

-Richard