View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 08:22 PM   #346
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

With all of that done I measured and drilled the holes for the bed bolts, then I got out the “farmer’s all-purpose friend” (AKA Bobcat) and placed the bed back on the frame:

Name:  BAC.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  56.6 KBName:  BAD.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  59.3 KB

Either I got lucky or I really am getting better at measuring because all of the holes lined up without having to enlarge any!

My brother has not been happy with the beast “being seen” because of the two colors on the bed so I used a can of primer on the front part of the bed to cover up the ochre paint. From my perspective it is a waste of paint and that much more time to sand it off in the future but if it helps keep some peace in the family so be it. On a funny note, one reason I had left the three colors for so long is I had thought about calling this “Project Calico” because the colors are those of a calico cat. Anyway, here it is with the calico knocked off of it:

Name:  BAE.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  54.1 KB

That primer went on a little over 5 weeks ago. Life and daily drivers have conspired against me during that time. I now have a 2013 F550 diesel 4x4 on the ranch (with bad brakes) and my new daily driver is a 2017 Colorado with a V6. I must say that 308 horsepower from a normally aspirated 3.6 liter engine is pretty impressive. The 23-26 mpg is not hurting my feelings at all! But back to the beast, I drive it some every weekend, I still have a pick list a mile long of little things that need wrapping up. As soon as I finish the brakes on the F*rd I’ll get back on this.

I hope you have enjoyed the ride so far!
-Richard