View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
Jrainman

L31 crate engine issues

Just installed a new GM L31 crate engine in my 68 , number 2 cylinder is not firing , I have installed 3 hei distributors one used and 2 new .

when I first started the engine both number 2 and 3 where not firing , replaced spark plugs with another set of new plugs changed out distirbutor with another new distibutor .
fuel is present on spark plug but not firing ,the raw unburnt fuel is firing (exploding) in that side of the exhaus as loud pops. all other cylinders are firing , re timed engine 4 times to verify , right now it seems to like 12 deg BTDC . also 2 new sets of spark plug wires were used , I am running a very lean A/F about 14.1 at idle as of now this is a new fresh install only thing used is the battery that has 13,2 volts across and when running 14.2 volts across. engine starts good but does have a small amount of pre ingnition when shut down that I am relating to the unburt fuel from #2 cylinder.

this is driving me crazy is there a special type of distibutor that needs to used other then the drive gear has to be compatable with a roller cam (melonized drive gear)
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote