Thread: NV4500 LD or HD
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #9
Richard2112

Re: NV4500 LD or HD

I appreciate the input from the members here as that has helped me to sort through the myriad of information. Also, the the discussion outside of a specific build/swap thread has helped to clear up some things.

My biggest problem with sorting through info is my propensity to over think things, amass way to much info and get lost sorting it all out.

This thread has helped to isolate the criteria I need to consider without taking into account those things that may apply to others specific swap/build and may have no real relationship to what I am intending.

In that way, the input of those here has been invaluable. I can now see those things that people were trying to share in their specific swap/build threads that ARE applicable to my circumstances, whereas before, I religiously took notes on every detail until I was simply swamped with too much information.

Thanks for the clarity and the opportunity to isolate those factors that are applicable and critical to my intentions.

The information on the square/round top trans was also very helpful and something I wasn't aware of previously. It came up as a question in my mind only yesterday and now that also has been answered before even asking!

Thus far I have been able to make the following assessments based upon the information:

If I intend to keep the stock GM bell housing, pressure plate and disk, then it is imperative that I also keep the same diameter and spline count of the input shaft. The length of the shaft may not be a problem as an adapter plate can be used to correct for distance. One inch I think is typical.

Since I am addressing a rear wheel drive circumstance, a fixed yoke output is almost a given. Also, the 5th gear retaining nut problem is far less likely to be an issue.

The year model of the trans is mostly limited by my desire to maintain the mechanical speedometer. Although I"ll admit here that I have my doubts about using a VSS equipped model and making a conversion back to the mech speedo, it might be possible during a rebuild. Don't know about that yet. Probably not possible or practical.

If I want improved shifting characteristics, it is advisable to change the from the round to square top during a rebuild.

The above (I think) is a basic limit of essential criteria that must be met to do as I intend for my specific purposes. And there is no realistic option to consider the nomenclature of Heavy Duty VS Light Duty. In the end, I get what works.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote