View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #6
echo7bravo

Re: Hi-Low Hump in late square?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
So a thread in the for sale section got me thinking since I'm in the process of swapping a 4500 into my 85 k20 to replace the th400. Do the later squares have a removable hump and is there actually a low & high version? If so, what dictates the high vs low: 2wd/4wd or auto/manual? This was obvious on my 69 but I haven't pulled up the floor mat yet to have a look see.
I'm in the process of doing a cab swap on my '86 4WD. I am using a '79 2WD cab due to it being completely rust free and readily available.

I was contemplating cutting the hump out of my '86 and welding into the '79 to get the higher hump. But I have been told that there should be enough clearance for the bell housing. I think the high humps were designed to raise the shifters up closer to the driver. Whether it was the manual shift or a transfer shifter.

So as for converting your automatic to manuall....the only think that I know of is that your shifter will set a couple inces lower and may not be as comfortable to shift. Could get a longer shift stick, but that would create a longer throw. All personal preference that I can see. But should all fit.
echo7bravo is offline   Reply With Quote