View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #31
siggyfreud

Re: Building a Custom GMC Dash Bezel from the ground up :).

Minor updates

I am going to try splitting the design and make it a modular unit. I am going to separate the trim ring from the back piece, and will split out the New Vintage signal piece as yet a 3rd piece that will all bolt together.

This is for a few reasons:

1. It will allow me to use different backing materials without having to re-mill the entire unit.
2. I can use different processes that might be more suitable for each piece. Due to the taper on the back side, I have to mill both sides of the material, meaning if I am slightly off when centering I ruin the whole piece. Not an issue for the pros, but for me, I can see it happening and suddenly a $40 piece of plastic is ruined.

So the new processes, in theory, will go as follows:

1. I will 3D print the trim ring, which will handle the taper and I can print in tabs that a backing plate would screw to.
2. The backing plate can then be milled from plastic, wood, aluminum, carbon fiber, etc based on preference.
3. The turn signal holder can either be printed or milled. In thinking ahead of potentially productizing something I am making it a separate unit so someone could add it remove it and not have to buy a whole new setup. This will also bolt to the trim ring and through the backing plate.

Designs to come, but I should have all the material coming I'll need to print a prototype trim ring by the weekend.

Progress is slow but steady!
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote