View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 11:52 PM   #1
jocko

Post a real Cheyenne Super only (aka the defiinitive Cheyenne Super thread)!

There are Cheyenne Supers sprinkled throughout the whole forum, but for the life of me, I couldn't find a "post your Super" thread. So, assuming someone doesn't shoot me in the forehead with exactly such a link in the next five minutes, I thought this might be a good idea. There are tons of recurring questions about what makes a Super a Super - and it's got to be about the most cloned and imitated trim package out there. I'll post a few pics to get the ball rolling and then please add on. Historical/technical option info highly desired - and post a pic of yours or one you've got a picture of as long as you know it's a no-kidding YE9 RPO Cheyenne Super.

First, some tidbits (or, more appropriately stated, "what I think I know!" Ha)...
  • Introduced in 1971, the Cheyenne Super (RPO YE9) was only available for two production years in THIS body style, but it continued into the square era.
  • The Cheyenne Super package was the highest trim level of 4 different trim packages (Custom (base model), Custom Deluxe, Cheyenne, and Cheyenne Super)
  • The package included the following items above and beyond the Cheyenne trim level: woodgrain instrument cluster bezel, woodgrain glovebox door applique over an aluminum trim pan with a Cheyenne Super badge in the lower right corner of the woodgrain, "Super" fender emblems under the Cheyenne nameplate, bright tailgate handle (chrome handle in 71, stainless slip cover in 72), Custom Cloth seat cover "aka houndstooth" available in parchment, blue and olive (only).
  • Buckets could also be ordered, but the factory only made them with vinyl covers (no houndstooth).
  • The Super emblem is "left justified" under the Cheyenne emblem. However, as has been noted with the Custom Deluxe trim level trucks, some factories centered the "Deluxe" emblem below the Custom emblem (a hint that it may be a Janesville truck), and some Cheyenne Supers have been produced that way as well - with a centered Super emblem.
  • In 1971, a Z81 CustomCamper nameplate would supersede the Cheyenne Super emblems on the fender if both were ordered. In 1972, the CustomCamper nameplate was moved to the doors, so 72 was the only year you could ever see Cheyenne Super emblems and the Custom Camper script on the same truck.
  • There's no such thing as a "Super Cheyenne"

Some pics: The first four are the introductory brochure in 71 (hope the first two display side by side for you), the last pic is from the 72 sales brochure, showing the upgrade from a Cheyenne to a Cheyenne Super.
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote