View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #9
FirstOwner69

Re: What GM create engine to buy for 3/4 ton 72 C20

In 2010 or 2011, I bought a 350HO Deluxe for my '69 C20. At that time, it was rated at 330HP with a Holley 670CFM carb. It is a Vortec head engine with a flat tappet cam. The Deluxe engines do not include a belt drive setup, serpentine or V-belt. When I bought mine, it included everything else except a fuel pump. I believe the current version does not include a fuel pump or water pump (mine had a long water pump). The flexplate on mine was a 153 tooth. I needed a 168 tooth. I'm using a short water pump. I'm also running ram horn manifolds which require different plug wires than those supplied with the engine.

To answer your questions...
- This engine uses a mechanical fuel pump like your original engine.
- The original alternator and power steering and brackets bolted right on. However, the front and rear top A/C brackets that attach to the heads did not due to the different style intake manifold used with Vortec heads. I fabricated brackets based on some brackets used in earlier/different SBC applications.
- If your current engine still has a points distributer, you'll need to set up the truck for HEI.

I am very satisfied with this engine and would buy it again. It performs well and runs great. A lot peppier than the original engine which is in storage. There is a hesitation when the engine is cold. I'm pretty sure all I need to do to fix that is do some tweaking to the Holley.

I did not buy mine at Summit Racing, but here's a link to it on their website.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...SABEgLVZfD_BwE

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 11-12-2017 at 10:57 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote