Thread: U joints
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 11:22 PM   #2
MASTERBrian

Re: U joints

Update, well....I read more and watched a few more videos and finally decided to try more heat. This was the 3rd time for heating these things to where the rubber gaskets on them were on fire and burning off. Each time more crap did come out, but the most being the 1st time. I was sure everything had to be out, but apparently not. This last time, I laid it into the vise a and heated and heated and heated until things were smoking hot. While hot I decided to hit with the punch and metal hammer and things finally started to move and I finally got the darn thing out.

Good news is yoke is ok, i thought part of it was chipped, but it's fine. Never-the-less what might this be out of? I can't believe all transmissions use the same yoke. There is a part # I believe on the joint, so I'll just have the parts store start matching it up and I guess i just use the type with the inner clip on this joint.

One last question....sealed or grease-able joints? I've always bought the ones I could grease with the zerts on them, but one thread the poster said he's never had luck with the grease-able joints and only buys the sealed ones from Autozone. I tend to prefer O'Reilly or another local parts store.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote