View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 05:52 PM   #2961
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Thursday morning breaks and Steve and I head out for breakfast at Presley's in Jonesboro with a group of his regular friends, including Dick Valenzuela.

Having been speaking to Dennis overnight and early morning, we decided to have breakfast while Dennis climbed on the Battle Wagon to the Dodge dealers who had not yet touched or looked at the car. And then see what transpired.

While at breakfast eating our extra helpings of American bacon I get a call from Dennis.

Suffice it to say he had called the dealers and raised hell and pi$$€d off some people.

They would look at the car and call me on Steves phone when they had something to report.

So we finished our breakfast and about 6 coffees each (free refills on everything in the USA) and Steve asked me to go off with The Bandit while he went to barber school for his weekly haircut and wet straight razor shave and facial. Yes we later ghee, but I guess a lifetime in the military, even with the latter part as a civilian in various think tanks etc, will make you continue your habits.

So Dick and I went off to see Duke at his shop in the Chevy.

Again, impressed with the mans car passion

Proud papa.

Duke runs a window tinting business to pay the bills, but is known primarily for his conversions.

What struck me most, was just how tidy and orderly his whole shop was.

For once I did not take any pics of his work.

We spent an hour or more there and then got a call from Steve on Dicks phone to call Dennis about the work in Jonesboro..... confused?

Anyway, it seemed the car would be ready by 12.00 for collection.

But before that we popped in at another communal friends shop to take a look at his build..... no photos, but again, complete mind blowing work. All new steel.

His main business is RV Services.

Saw this beauty out in the yard..... Swinger anyone?

From there it was across town to Barber school to collect Steve, who was still mid shine and polish.

Getting prepped for his straight razor shave.

Part of a very old ritual to him, which I was quite envious of..

Once Steve was all smooth and seriously officer looking, we headed to collect the car in his truck.

$358.00 for a temporary bypass to get me mobile again.

I felt a hand over my mouth and my trousers being yanked down..........

When I offered to pay, Brandee said it had already been settled, she did not seem very interested in me, maybe just busy.

Any mechanics out there....?

[img width=1024 height=768]http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm90/niknakpix/2015%20Continues/AFC6BF0E-5B28-4AA8-8414-EEAC2B2160E7_zpszggk33iq.jpg[/img]

Once we got back to Steves place it was quick packing, consult three SatNav to find the shortest way to do 275 miles back to O'Fallon to Dennis' place before dark.

We hit the road after filling the Challenger and buying lots of Jerky, Mountain Dew and other treats.

I followed the Red Toyota........

We only stopped once for a toilet break at Cherokee Falls and kept to the speed limit, as the road has its fair share of enforcement officers

We came through/around St Louis just in time for the Friday afternoon rush, and except for one surprise junction at which point I was leading with the SatNav, I almost got Steve killed as he came to a halt after my sudden departure onto the i70 in order to follow me, and also then later he left the road to go fill his truck, and we got him later again when he called Hanna on her mobile for directions.....

Phewwwww....

At last, Dennis' driveway.

At this point Imwas alone, Steve would get there 30 minutes later, after we went to meet him at the motorway intersection to guide him home.

Unpacked,

I relaxed for the first time in three days, as it was Dennis' surprise birthday party, which he had still not realised was being organised.

He thought all along that everyone was arranging for Debbie's birthday surprise.

He had gone and bought them one of her bucket list dreams......

For Saturday morning.

Anyone care to guess what it was???

In the mean time everyone was able to prepare for the birthday party of a lifetime, for an amazingly well liked and loved man.

Bedtime now.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote