View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 01:51 AM   #24
stealthy '69
'69 Chevy SWB

Re: Project: No Name

On a side note, I have been getting quite a bit accomplished on this old turd. Over the weekend the axle U-bolts were fighting me to come off. Well a few shot's of some penetration oil I got from board member 67C10HotRod (I forget what it's called, it's in an orange can) and a couple of big wrenches, they came loose. So off with the old lower shock mounts and on with the new. The original track bar is still fighting me to come off though, so I think tomorrow it's time to break out the cut off wheel and zip through some bolts. And while I'm throwing sparks, I might as well cut off the upper shock mounts and get the upper ECE mounts bolted in. That or the one's I made at work out of 1/4" wall 2x2 square tubing. Which ever ones give me a better shock angle. I also got all of the appropriate hardware installed for the new adjustable track bar. I just need to get that stubborn track bar out to finish that off. Sorry, no pics today. I was running late for work this morning. It's been nice working from 2-10:30PM, I can slowly roll out of bed around 11:00AM or even noon, go out and spend a few hours in the garage, and leave for work at 1:30.

On yet another side note, I've been spending a lot of time on my back this week () looking at different routing's for my exhaust. I think I have it all figured out, but I want a few opinions on the complete setup. Right now it has some rusty/leaky long tube headers, into a 3" collector with a 3" cut out and another collector after that. Then a short 3" pipe with a slight bend to parallel it off of the frame, in to 3" super 44 Flowmasters and a 3" turn down. All the 3" and short exhaust was bought for 2 reasons.
#1. The exhaust that was on it was falling of and looked/sounded like poo.
#2. When I first bought the truck my plan was to buy/build a bad a__ small block. I wanted it to be one of the few trucks to "watch out for" when we went back home for the local car show/drag races.

My plans have changed, and now I just wanna build a low, mean sounding truck that is reliable and will turn a head or two with out have a nice paint job. Plus my budget, and this is coming from my financial consultant, AKA Wifey, is only going to be about $200-300 a month. So on to the point of the last two paragraphs.

I have a set of Flow-tech long tube headers that came with the truck when I bought it. I'm not 100% sure they are what the box says since they've been opened. I'm going to try to run them, if they work. I measured the collectors and they are 3". So I wanna run them in to 2.5" exhaust. Route the pipe over the trans x-member, through 2 4" holes to be cut later in the trailing arm x-member, and some way to mount my 3" Fm to the 2.5" pipe. I wanna reuse the 3" super 44's since they are only a couple years old, and it's been mostly in the garage most of those years. After the mufflers I'm undecided on tail pipes. Either out the side right behind or in front of the rear wheels, or out the back with a set of 3.5" stainless tips I've had since I was in school. I won them in a raffle at a car show when I was about 14-15 and I've been saving them for the right car/truck and think this is the one.

So I guess I need your opinions on the exhaust. Does everything sound doable? Any other ideas would be nice to. Thanks guys!

'69 Chevy SWB Fleet, Primer Black; Project No Name
'06 Chevy Trailblazer, Blueish Silver?; Wifes DD, Sold
'08 Chevy Impala SS, Silver; the new DD, AND IT IS FUN!!!
'99 Dodge Dakota R/T, Intense Blue; DD, Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbed67 View Post
The tig welds are not the prettiest i have seen but they do have good penetration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
There are two things in life where penetration is really important.....and one of them is welding.
stealthy '69 is offline   Reply With Quote