View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #11
MARTINSR

Re: Is this patch available anywhere?

The fact that the panel is welded to the "headliner" panel inside above that light changes everything on my suggestion of replacing the whole panel.

HOWEVER, the damage is pretty extensive and there it's very likely there is going to be more than this you are showing.

This stuff gets more complicated than a quick patch and ones skills can play into this big time. Those aren't easy patches to make, going around that corner with a round shape, yeow, that is not easy and with limited skills it's going to be tough.

That being said, we can do anything if we break the task into small enough steps, you CAN do it, we know that. Replacing the whole thing would require a seam across the top just below that factory seam that wouldn't be that tough either, again, learning one small step at a time. You cut that panel off about a inch away from the seam and then cut the donor panel about a half inch away from the seam. Step the edge of the donor panel along that line and then tuck it up under that one and weld it in place. OR cut the panel off about a half inch from that seam and then cut the donor panel off down in the seam so that the edge of it tucks down into the seam on that roof and plug weld it along the overlap and when done seam seal that seam.

So because that seam is there it isn't out of the question.

This is I understand a huge project, I just through it out there because being able to clean all the rust out behind there and weld in a nice epoxy primed panel over a nice epoxy primed inner cab though it is WAY more time, it really does end up being easier than welding patches in there.

I toss this idea out there because we are all different and if that sounds more comfortable to you than go for it. The cool part is, you can start making patches on that stuff and give that a try, see how it goes and if it doesn't work out for you there is another plan. But if I were to get a donor panel that was nice, I would have a hard time cutting that baby up when it could be installed complete.

Another thought is what are the expectations of the build and the truck. I would go as far as to say some projects and guys swapping out the whole inner headliner and rear panel wouldn't be out of line! We are all different and we all have different expectations and skill levels.

But going back to making these patches from scratch, you would realistically have to make the patch out of many smaller ones. But if you just jump into it, this method may go smoothly for you and in a few work times out in the garage you will have a patch ready to go and you rock and roll through it and don't have to spend the money on a donor. Give that a try and see how it goes, if it's not working out get a donor and study that a while seeing if replacing it complete makes sense to you.

But if you cut away small sections of that rusted area, one at a time, and make the patch for it BEFORE cutting out the next section that is what I would start with. Make each patch so it fits against the next rear that is rusted, then cut that area out and make a patch that fits there, then the next area and make a patch. Then you know they all fit in place and you can tack weld them in all together.

These are some ideas to start with, making the actual patch will take a lot more detail and photos. We can do that too. And of course wait for some ideas from others, there is a lot of knowledge on this board.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote