View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 02:17 AM   #1
studeclunker

66 Custom Camper

I took home a '66 Custom Camper on Sunday and have a few questions about it. First of all, is this a C-20 or C-30? The suspension is coil springs with the strangest leaf helper springs in the back I have ever seen. The old man has eight-lug rims, 350, power (assist?) steering, power brakes and an automatic. My plan is to use it for towing my goose-neck horse trailer and occasionally a 40ft Spartan travel trailer.

I bought the truck because my Studebaker was a half ton and I haven't been able to find a one-ton in California. So, that left me without a tow vehicle. Now I have one. Also, this truck reminded me of my Father's.

The power steering doesn't seem to be of much help when I'm not rolling. Is this normal? I remember in the cars it wasn't. I've never driven a pickup of this vintage that had power steering so I wouldn't know.

How burly are the automatics on these?

Would it be a bad idea to install a Vintage Air Air-conditioner on this? Would it overload the motor? As I recall, back in the sixties the fastest way to kill your car was to install air conditioning.

Thanks in advance.
Ron
Fawn Lodge, Ca.
studeclunker is offline   Reply With Quote