View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 05:04 PM   #1
russm57

Black Cherry or other color?

My son and I have been working on a '69 c10 off and on for about a year and half. It has a new gm crate engine and more new parts than I want to put in writing, or than I could possibly remember. We are probably within a month of taking it to a body shop and having some final body work done and a very nice paint job. Trouble is, I still can't decide on a color. I think I want what I would call black cherry. Very dark, but not so black that you have to look hard to see the red - very much like the color of a fresh black cherry you see in the produce department in summer. However, I still have not seen any vehicles painted that color. I looked at a "house of color" book at a local paint store and they have some great colors. However, they told me that it is very hard to match if you ever have to touch it up or repair. I don't think I want something that can't be readily touched or repaired. We don't plan to make it a daily driver, but it will get a fair amount of use. The only thing I've seen actually painted a color that looks close to what I'm looking for was a set of valve covers a friend of mine painted. He painted them black and then painted a coat of red - I think it was kind of a flourecent or pearlish red - over the black. Is something like this the only way to get the black cherry look? I'm concerned that this too would be difficult to touch up or match if damaged. Why am I not seeing any cars painted the color I'm looking for? There's got to be a reason, because in my mind's eye it is a beautiful, eye catching color. Should I give up on that color?
The other color (which I have seen on a 72 and liked a lot) we have considered is a bright blue metallic - I don't know what it is called but I don't think I'd have a hard time finding it. Please guys, give me some help with this?

Thanks
russm57 is offline   Reply With Quote