View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 10:49 PM   #1
Mike_The_Grad

1964 c10 Aux. cooling/helper fan.

Hey everyone, so my dad is having trouble with idle engine temperatures. He is running a 6 blade dealer stainless flex fan with NO shroud on his 1964 c10 with 292 and 4 speed granny low trans. YES, I understand that a fan shroud would do wonders for him. The only problem is we cant seem to find one. The 1/2 tons never came equipped with a 292. So, looking at the current situation I got a deal on a 16" derale electric fan. My dad wants manual control and to use the fan as a helper/backup fan for traffic or when he sees a neighbor and gets started in on a conversation. (I've already told him to turn the truck off and have no worries...) regardless of that. I have 3" in front of the rad core and the core support crossbars. He wants to keep the mechanical fan(understandable) the electric fan I picked up is 3-3/4" deep from mounting area to back of electric motor. My question is, how necessary is the cross brace for the core support? Would it be ok to "modify" said crossbrace with a kick-out around the electric motor? (Roughly4-6") knowing we want to keep the mechanical belt driven fan, and the confinements in front of the radiator what would you guys suggest? Not taking the fan back as I got it for 1/2 retail price. Yes we are running a "water wetter/ super coolant" additive. No a/c, and no we dont have the stock fan and shroud to run. Not oppose to it but I doubt any of you guys have one laying around for a 292 setup in a 1/2 ton truck.
Either way, thanks for your time and unless I hear something I'm gonna modify or leave out entirely the cross brace for the core support so I can run this fan as a pusher fan.( yes I know the pros/cons of pusher/puller fans.) Just trying to make me pops happy without modifying his truck anymore than he wants. Thanks!

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote