View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #184
brontotx

Re: Tbi swap build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
Do I really need the vss hooked up to the speedo? As I have no speedo just a tach... Also any tips on what wire is for the check engine light? I assume it plugs into the back of the cluster?
Opinions vary on the need for VSS - see rfmaster's post #46 for the reasons why and DirtyLarry's post #48 for another opinion. My opinion is that GM put it in, so I needed to replicate it. My reason is partially driven by my also swapping in an electronically/ECM-controlled 700R4 from an '87 and I am pretty sure VSS is needed for proper torque converter lock-up by the ECM. My point here is that your use of a manual tranny (like DirtLarry) may minimize (eliminate?) the need for VSS.

If you decide to replicate a VSS signal, you do not need a speedo. The JTR 2PRS signal generator can hook to the side of your tranny (or wherever the speedo cable normally hooks to in your truck).

As for the check engine light wire, it is normally the brown w/ white stripe wire going to terminal A5 of the 1227477 ECM. Since my '82 instrument cluster did not have a check engine light, I pushed a stripped wire end into the choke light terminal on the back of my cluster. This made my choke light (which wasn't being used anyway) into a check engine/SES light. Another option is to install and wire any 12V light as your check engine/SES light. Please note that this light has 12V+ with ignition on and the brown and white stripe wire from the ECM switches the ground.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Mark